Art & DesignDownload Brochure
"Creativity is intelligence having fun."
The Art department boasts of an excellent setting, with views over Fernbrae meadows and extensive studio space which is south facing and well lit. This setting allows for a variety of outdoor learning experiences which optimises health and well being in our pupils and boosts their creativity.
The curriculum takes into account the differing experiences of art and design practice.
• to introduce the students to the vocabulary of art and design
• to introduce the methods, materials and techniques of art and design
• to increase students’ visual awareness
• to increase their confidence in their ability in art and design
• to introduce students to an awareness of the work of artists and designers
Students will be able to:-
• understand how to use various media appropriately
• through the use of various media, record aspects of line, tone, texture, colour and pattern
• develop images based on both observation and imagination
• develop ideas from investigation to answer simple design briefs
• demonstrate familiarity with the work of some artists and designers
• to evaluate their own and others’ work
N5 and Higher Portfolio Examples
Mrs S Newman
BA (Hons) Illustration, PGCE Art and Design.
Mrs Newman joined Fernhill School in 2011. She has previously taught in four schools across both state and independent sectors. Originally hailing from Manchester, Mrs Newman has made her home in Glasgow where she has lived for the last nine years with her husband and two children. Mrs Newman is a practicing artist who has exhibited her work at the Mall Galleries in London.
Mrs L Dempsey
BA (Hons) Product Design, PGCE Art and Design.
Mrs Dempsey studied at Glasgow School of Art and has worked in state and independent schools. Having worked abroad, Mrs Dempsey has a good grasp of various cultures and artistic endeavours. Having had design drawings published in Design Week and won the Cassina furniture design prize at Art school, Mrs Dempsey has a keen eye for design.